Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fate Had Other Plans

I felt incredibly virtuous this morning. My alarm went off to get up to go running. I hit snooze, and then gave myself a nice little pep talk about needing to get up and how happy I will be when I am done. So, I got out of bed. I stumbled around trying to find my running stuff, and was promptly stumped. I found the spandex shorts, put those on, and then searched and searched and searched. I could not find my sports bra anywhere. Seriously, it disappeared completely.

So, I make my way over to the closet. The burst of freezing cold air from our window AC unit made me decide it would be better to crawl to the closet. In front of my closet was what looked like a box. I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't be sure. (Some background information: My husband will often leave gifts in front of my closet door for birthdays, valentines day and sometimes just because he loves me). Well I moved the box out of the way without looking at it as I was.... well, to be honestly I didn't have much clothing on and the AC was killing me.

So I decided to retreat back to the dresser to find a shirt before continuing the search. It seems that though I was determined to go running, Fate had other ideas. As I was trying to find a shirt to throw on, amid much shivering, Stephen sat up in bed and said, "Do you have any idea what that thing you just moved in front of the closet was?"

I looked up a little guiltily. Stephen is a fantastic giver of gifts, but he does expect his gifts to be met with a certain amount of enthusiasm.


I looked up a little guiltily. Stephen is a fantastic giver of gifts, but he does expect his gifts to be met with a certain amount of enthusiasm.

This isn’t really hard because I am usually incredibly enthusiastic about his gifts. But I knew I had made a serious blunder from the look on his face.

“Um… kinda. Sorry, I don’t have my glasses on, or a shirt on! I’m cold and I was going to get my glasses to see what it is.” I felt like I had just told a little kid that Santa wasn’t real. 

I bounded over to the box, picked it up and jumped onto the bed. It was a Kindle! * gasp * I immediately went to work trying to get it open. I just wanted to touch it. I look over at my husband.



“I thought you would have come and jumped on me as soon as you saw it or something.” Oops. I wasn’t being as grateful as I should be. I then told him how awesome it was. I enthused and told him how incredibly excited I was. Because, I was sooooooo excited! SO EXCITED!

As a lover of books, as a student as someone who just wants to have a houseful of books, a Kindle is a way to keep from having to move 2 tons of books every time we have to relocate.

It is the perfect gift for me.

We both go the box opened and started exploring it. Giddy with how it really does look just like ink on a real page. We got it charging, looked online at some of the books I wanted, and I continued to try and thank my amazing husband for this awesome gift.

When we settled down, I looked around again (this time with my glasses on and therefore a higher chance of success) and still no sports bra. So, as a thank you to my wonderful husband we got to do what we never get to do in the morning: Cuddle. (and you thought it was going to be something dirty! Shame on you.)

I am so very blessed to have an amazing husband who could have taken the money that he spent getting me a Kindle getting himself a nice gun (something he has wanted for ages). And, you know what the amazing part of this is? I did not deserve anything.

Lately, I have not exactly been the most pleasant person. The past two days I have been irritable, grumpy, tired and quite rude. But, my dear husband has taken it like a champ. Even last night when I rip into him for no good reason, he listened. He told me he was so sorry I felt that way. He talked me down from my temper, and up from the depths of despair.

Last night, he went grocery shopping because I was much, much, much too tired to go. Not only did he go grocery shopping, but he came home with one of the best gifts ever! I told you I am spoiled. He gives me gifts when I least deserve them. 

So, thank you Stephen. Thank all the powers that be that you found me, chose me and actually want to stick with me (crazy though I may be). I am so happy that he is mine for always and forever! 

And thank you everyone else for putting up with this rather mushy ending. All I can say is… I am a very lucky girl.


1 comment:

  1. Oh how sweet! That's so wonderful you have such an amazing husband for you!

    ReplyDelete