Monday, January 24, 2011

Popcorn A.K.A The End Of The World

Have you ever felt like you were pleasantly riding along on the road called life when suddenly you find yourself on the precipice of the end of the world. There is a sign conveniently labeled "The End Of The World" and a stack of pamphlets on how to treat shock. Suddenly you realize that you probably shouldn't have complained that the Air Conditioning wasn't cold enough, or that the car smelled funny, or that some of your traveling companions were intolerably insufferable. Maybe, just maybe, you should have enjoyed what you did have, acknowledged the scenery and embraced the sharp turns and twists that often threw you for a loop.

But now, now you are faced with what feels like the end of everything. And suddenly, all that was so bad before becomes nothing more annoying than a Justin Bieber song stubbornly stuck in your head. My friends, today feels like I have reached the precipice. In reality, my job is being terminated due to the company going under. Is it really the end of the world? Of course not. But it certainly feels like it. I'm guessing that I will turn around only to find that the end of the world is really just a nice scenic route and that the road continues after a sharp right turn. I just have to follow that turn into the unknown. I don't really want to though. Right now I feel like dangling my legs over the End Of The World, and throwing popcorn off the edge. I want to whine and complain, cry and have the temper tantrum of my life. But will I? Probably not. It could be fun though...

I know everything will turn out alright. I know that everything happens for a reason. I know that my husband will hold me tonight while I irrationally cry over a job that, to be honest, I didn't really like. I know that he will kiss the hurt better and that tomorrow I will have sent my resume out at least five times. I know that my family and friends will be nice and coddle the very frustrated Jeannie, and that I will have all the support that anyone could ever ask for. But, for the moment, I think I'll sit here throwing popcorn and lamenting my fate. Give me five minutes. I promise I'll be up again. Once all the popcorn is gone.

1 comment:

  1. Way to be! I absolutely love the picture! It depicts such an impressive image! So sorry that things didn't work out with the job situation! It's ok to be sad (like you said we're all human and sometimes we have to experience down times as well as up) The great thing bout you is you won't be down there too long (you won't be looking at the end of the road forever) You will eventually move on! It reminds me of a friend I had who really wanted a teaching job only to find out she didn't get and she didn't understand until a few weeks later she found out she was pregnant! *Not saying that will happen to you but I know some good will come out of every situation! Maybe you'll find a better job that you love or maybe it'll be the out you need to move on to something bigger and better! Good luck until eventually when everything will be ok!

    ReplyDelete