Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Honesty and Hippos

I expect honesty in everyone. Especially from myself. Especially from myself about myself. On that note, my 5K is fast approaching, and the reality of it is I’m not exactly ready.

“Why not?” You ask. Good question. I’ve been asking myself that question all week. And last week. True, I’ve been a little under the weather this week. And my life is pretty busy. I work all day and then usually have something going on every night. I have a hard time squeezing in time to sweep my floor, let alone go running.

But, then I really take a good look at things and I realize that I have all the time I need to do all the important things. It’s all about prioritizing.

But that doesn’t change the fact that my 5K is on Monday, it’s Wednesday and I have never gone farther than 2.52 miles. Only 0.6 more to go, right?

I’ve been terrified that I am going to make a fool out of myself, I won’t be able to run the whole thing or I’ll break my ankle or something. And you know what, that is no way to think! As FlyLady would say, “No more stinkin’ thinkin’!”

I have realized that I am a perfectionist. And, I really enjoy a few minutes to relax. And sometimes I just feel overwhelmed. Well my friends, it is time this changed. I have a good, simple system for keeping my house clean. I have all the time in the world to do the things I love. Now I just need to DO IT!

I think this is going to mean getting up early in the morning to go running. *sigh* I can’t see any other way for it. And you know what that means? Going to bed early (why is this so difficult?!). And you know what that means? Some serious, hard core discipline!

But I can do it. I’m starting to see the benefits (YAY for benefits!!!) Such as my legs are toning up, I’m losing some of the unwanted belly fat, I’ve been cutting time off my miles, etc. Awesome right?! So now I just need to do more of it.

And, now that I think I know what I need to do to make it happen, I just need to act on it. Unfortunately, it is much easier to make a plan than to actually follow the plan. Which is why my new mantra is JUST DO IT!
What do I have to lose? (More belly fat for one thing…) I can do it because my husband says I’m awesome. I can do it because I know I can. And I can do it because my husband bought me this incredible swim suit for our trip to Florida and I just HAVE to do it justice.

And, as long as we’re being honest, I will never understand the whole gladiator high heels look. I mean, seriously, who thought that was going to be a good idea?! And, while owning an Elephant and a Giraffe would be awesome. A pet Hippo would just be ridiculous. There. I said it. 


P.S. - I kind of really want to make my blog look cool and have those neat little buttons on the top for different pages like "About Me" and stuff like that.... But I don't know how. Anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I'm so proud of you for being honest with yourself and setting a goal to just do things! Way to be! That's really all it takes: Just do it and then accomplishment happens! I'm so happy that you're willing to do the 5K! That's such an amazing thing to do! I know you can do it! Even if you run part of the way and walk the rest, at least you can say you did it! Then you can only improve next time a 5K comes up :)
    As for the little buttons to add to your blog; you can either go to the design button and add a gadget or you can look up on-line the different buttons you want to add for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to run that 5K. I ran yesterday and it was one of my best runs ever (even if I did get caught in a thunderstorm and came home soaking wet). I'll look into those buttons... It's time for an awesome blog design. Thanks Steph!

    ReplyDelete